Interested in learning to ice climb? The Sheridan Recreation District and Wyoming Mountain Guides are working together to offer this day trip to Shell Canyon for youth to learn to ice climb with experienced outdoor professionals.
Transportation and ice climbing equipment is provided; participants must bring a backpack with a lunch, snacks, water, and plenty of warm winter clothes (hat, jacket, gloves, snow pants, boots, etc.).
- Ages: 12+ (including adults!)
- Fee: $100 per participant. Fee includes transportation and ice climbing equipment.
- When: Saturday, January 21 from 7:30 am - 4:30 pm
- 7:30 am: Drop off at Sheridan Recreation District Office
- 9 am: Meet Wyoming Mountain Guides at Antelope Butte Ski Area - drive to Shell Canyon
- 9:30 am: Gear up and hike to waterfall
- 10 am: Risk management and safety skills for top rope climbing
- 10:15 am: Foundational ice climbing technique lesson
- 10:30 am – Noon: Top rope ice climbing
- 12-12:30 pm: Lunch breako12:30 pm: Efficient ice climbing movement lesson
- 1-2:30 pm: Top rope ice climbing
- 3 pm: Hike out
- 4:30 pm: Arrive at Sheridan Recreation District Office
- Registration: There are only 12 spots! Sign up online or in person at the Sheridan Recreation District at 1579 Thorne-Rider Park or call 307-674-6421. After registering, please fill out the Google form - this ensures that we will have correct sizes for all equipment!
- Supplies needed: back pack, water bottle, lunch, extra snacks, warm winter clothes (hat, jacket, gloves, snowpants, boots, etc.). Contact McKoy Feland, Program Supervisor with any questions.